Click above to listen to Contentment from the album The Voice. If you enjoy, consider purchasing the song, album download, or CD from iTunes, or stantonlanier.com (where sheet music is also available).
How is your contentment on a scale of 1 to 10?
It is so easy for me to be discontent with my circumstances or to worry about the future, even though I know there is so much to be thankful for. I wrote this melody to slow down my mind from thinking anxious thoughts, and to focus on the things in life that are pure and lovely.
Here are six ways I have found, which help me move from discontentment toward contentment…
- Think about things you don’t have OR focus on giving thanks for things you do have
- Dream about goals that haven’t happened OR take one positive step to make progress
- Worry about outcomes you can’t control OR surrender outcomes and serve others well
- Be frustrated by what hasn’t gone your way OR remember when things turned out okay
- Let fear and uncertainty cause inertia OR let faith and adventure move you forward
- Measure where you have less than others OR count life’s blessings that are priceless
Which of these would help you increase your contentment level?
“But godliness with contentment is great gain. We brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.” — 1 Timothy 6:6-8
“I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” — Philippians 4:11
Leave a Reply