Click above to stream the song Breathe as you read. I am also including the Breathe music video at the bottom, so you can use it for further reflection in seeking “2018 Peace and Rest.”
How can “pausing to breathe” bring peace and rest, as well as joy and productivity?
An amazing story happened during the filming of the Breathe music video. For 24 hours I put aside my “to do” list and unplugged from all technology while in the mountains of western North Carolina. I needed and wanted some “breathing room” to convey the essence of this song musically and visually. My original idea was to go deep into an old forest with huge trees, since trees help us breathe by producing oxygen. After some hiking and scouting, the plan shifted. It was a little unsettling at first, but taking time to pause, to breathe in this moment, led to a surprising discovery…
Back at the entrance to the historic forest, there were two signs. The first indicated the mileage to a lookout point. The second said “No Outlet.” My friend and camera man agreed we should go exploring, to see if we might discover an even better (perhaps even the best) music video location. We were blown away, and couldn’t wait to start filming at sunrise the next morning.
The image above is just a glimpse of the beauty and wonder we experienced, and I believe you will love the Breathe music video footage. Below are “5 Reasons to Pause and Breathe” from this story. I hope these will help lead you toward greater peace and rest, greater joy and productivity, and greater inspiration and creativity in 2018.
- To help you clarify a creative vision and dream to make a positive difference in people’s lives.
- To embrace flexibility, waiting to see what is revealed, is part of going from good, to better, to God’s very best.
- To take calculated risks (seeing what is down a “no outlet” road) is part of experiencing God’s awe and wonder.
- To grow in surrender. “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” Proverbs 16:9 (NKJV)
- To allow beauty to lead to worship. “I bless God every chance I get…I live and breathe God…” Psalm 34:1-2 (MSG)
Which “reason to pause and breathe” inspires you most for 2018?